William (1804-1892) and Emma Stokes (1811-1864) Webb



Wi1liam Webb,Sr. was born 19 August 1804, in Dry Drayton, Cambridgeshire, England.  His Wife, Emma Stokes, was born 11 July 1811 in Ivinghoe, Buckinghamshire, England. They were married 4 April 1831 in Studham, Bedfordshire, England.  The following children were born to them:


John Stokes 20 Nov. 1831                      George Stokes 6 May 1839

Ann Stokes 17 April 1833                        William Jr. 6 Aug l843

Mark 27 July 1835                                    Edwin Thomas 19 Aug 1846


William,Sr. was well educated, a great reader and student, and while in England he taught reading.  He was a quiet retiring man and although he did not take part in church or public affairs, he encouraged his children to do their best.  He was a landscape gardner and a horticulturist by trade, he had a fine garden and could raise anything.  When he came to America he brought many seeds with him.


Emma Stokes, his wife, was a good and noble woman, she was always ready to do a good deed for anyone in need, She took a boy, son of an old couple and raised him, his name was Joseph Dix.  She also brought up three Thorn girls, Mary, Sarah, and Elizabeth.  Mary was sent to America and Sarah and Elizabeth came to Utah with the Webb family in 1864.  Emma kept a braiding school and taught children to make strawbraid to make straw hats, she also taught them reading once a day.


On February 18, 1854, their son, John Stokes Webb and his wife Hannah Grace, left England for America, they arrived in Salt Lake in the Fall of the year and came to Lehi in the Fall of 1855.


In 1864 William Webb Sr., his Wife, Emma, their son George and his wife, Julia Cushings; their son, William, Jr. and his wife, Harriett Grace; their daughter Ann, and their youngest son, Edwin; George=s son Thomas; and Sarah and Elizabeth Thorn, sailed on the sly for America.  They were on the Atlantic Ocean six weeks.  They landed in New York, sailed up the Hudson River to Albany and went from there to the Missouri River by train.  Here they met the ox team and were placed in Captain Snow=s Company.  As they traveled across the plains serious illness came to the group and in Illinois, Julia Cushings Webb died and was left on the plains by the wayside.



 Foot weary and worn by the hardships of the journey, weak from suffering, the family reached Salt Lake.  Here they stayed a few days and then cane to Lehi to the home of their son and brother, John Webb.  The mother (Emma Stokes) passed away three weeks after reaching Utah and Edwin died a month later.  They were both sick all the way across the plains.  The father never remarried.  When the St. George Temple was finished he went there to do Temple work and live with his daughter, Ann. He returned to Lehi and lived here until his death February 18, 1892.  All his children except Ann lived near him, as well as some of his old friends and neighbors from Studham, England, who came to Utah as Latter-Day Saints.  Those were the families of John Austin, George Whitman, and William Turner.


We, as the William Webb family, belonged to no religion, but would sometimes go to one place of worship, and sometimes to another, until the year 1847 when the Latter Day Saint Elders came and preached at Studham.  We went to hear them, sometimes.  I did not go much, but my wife and daughter went a great many times and soon believed them to be the only pep1e sent of God, and as they believed this, they went and were baptized on the 30th day of November 1847 by Elder Benjamin Johnson.  When I learned what they had done, it made me very angry and I said that I would kill Elder Johnson and Elder Robert Hodgert, but my wife prevailed upon me to go and hear Elder John H. Lewis preach; I did so, after this I went again and soon believed as they did.  I was baptized on the 12th of January 1848 by Elder Benjamin Johnson.  My sons John and George filled missions in England.


Emma was a staunch Mormon, she read the Bible a good deal, I remember one time Parson Head of the Church of England died, and a young man came to take his place.  The deacon of the Church told him what a good woman Emma was but he said, AShe was one of those awful Mormons@ the young man came to see her and invite her to come to his Church.  Emma got out the old family bible and they talked for some time, he became quite uneasy and said that, he must go.  Emma got him to promise to come again, in two weeks and have a longer talk.  He kept his promise, and when he came she was ready for him.  He became very uneasy while talking to her, and we were all glad to have him leave, as we felt sorry for him.  He never came to our house again, it was surely a case of the learned being beaten by the unlearned.