SUSIE WINN WHIPPLE1874 – 1963
Susie Winn Whipple, daughter of William Henry and Martha Evans Winn, was born Feb. 10, 1874 in Lehi, Utah. She attended Lehi Schools and the Brigham Young Academy. She married Robert John Whipple, June 24, 1896 in the Salt Lake L. D. S. Temple. Five daughters and a son were born of this marriage: Ora, Winnie Leath, Essie June, Byron J. and twin girls, Mildred and Miriam.
She raised silk worms for Brigham Young's project to produce silk in Utah. Church activity occupied her time throughout her life, being Relief Society President for a number of years. She supported her husband as bishop of the Lehi First Ward for ten years, and as bishop's councilor for fifteen years. Two of her children served as missionaries for the L. D. S. Church.
The records of her family were of great interest to her. In the days when transportation was slow and inconvenient she spent many days of the year in the Salt Lake Genealogical library seeking to further the research of her ancestors. She kept a book of family group sheets of
the Winn Family. It became a custom when the family needed information on both the living and those who had gone before, to come to "Aunt Sue" for the carefully gathered family records.
Susie was active in civic affairs, serving as delegate to the first Democratic State Convention. At the time of the Women's Suffrage movement, she took an active part. While her children were in school, she was among those working with the parent‑teacher organizations.
The education of her children was very important to her. All six of her children attended the University of Utah. Four attained college degrees.
Her home was enjoyed by many people; both civic and church visitors were her guests. Her children's friends had "honey pulls" in her home often.
Those seeking help were never turned away from her door. The railroad was about one‑half mile from her home and those "free guests of the rails" received many free meals.
She lived to be 89 years of age and passed away Sept. 8, 1963. She is buried in the Lehi City Cemetery.